About South Valley Science and Engineering Initiative
SVSEI's mission is to provide youth engagement in STEAM through both community outreach and by providing a safe, inclusive science and engineering fair competition for 5th-8th grade students in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and San Martin.
SVSEI emerged out of a pursuit to inspire and support the STEM local community.
Our strategic focus areas are:
- To increase local elementary, middle, and high school-aged children’s science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) literacy, communication skills, and innovative thinking abilities
- To give these students practice with the scientific method using real-world problems of their choosing
- To provide student support to compete successfully at local and advanced STEM competitions
- To collaborate with local schools and community organizations to provide STEM support
- To provide a safe, inclusive, juried science and engineering fair for 5th-8th grade students
Booksmart Community Advantage Board Members
Susan Hines, Board President
Peggy Martin, Treasurer
Ernie Oliveras, Gilroy Representative
Adam Escoto, Morgan Hill Representative
Sudha Raman, Volunteer & Judge Coordinator
Heidi Black, Synopsys Championship Representative
For More Information & Volunteer Opportunities
SVSEI needs volunteers for both our outreach activities and the 2023 science and engineering fairs follows:
- Assist with outreach, communication, and marketing of the fair.
- Assist with classroom nature journaling lessons
- Assist with community STEAM activity booths
- Safety review committee members
- Judges for student projects
- Fair registration, setup/take-down, and student supervision
Support South Valley Science and Engineering Initiative
To support the South Valley Science and Engineering Initiative and it's STEAM programs, donate via Paypal below or you may make checks payable to "Morgan Hill Community Foundation - SVSEI" and mail to MHCF, P.O. Box 1974, Morgan Hill, CA 95038.